3/27/2009

Watch out! Your DNA will make you do stuff you had no idea you could do


This is a pretty much an armchair comment that I am inclined to make. The other day I received results of an assessment that was conducted at work of individuals who are in the management level. Similarly to others (some 70-80 people), a few weeks ago I was asked to provide names of two people (plus two back-up names) who may be acquainted with me and my work who would be asked questions about my performance, and so forth, and if there were areas that need to be addressed in making me a better manager/professional, and so forth.

One gets a few surprises in such an assessment. First, we were all told that this is not an evaluation. But then, we were not quite sure what this is actually going to mean when the data is gathered in.

Anyway, the assessment result – from a statistical point of view – did not yield a 100% score. My score was 8.83 on a scale of 10. Conclusion – I am not perfect, or at least the score was not 10 point. The points indicated areas of strengths and performance, but the comments of four people about their perception of my work, style and areas of needed growth made me aware of perceptions, which I seem to create as people meet me or look at me from the sidelines.

The stuff to deal with first – I learned that I have so many ideas and that I should sometime focus more on a few priorities, but I learned that I improved a lot in my relations with others. That’s an important area for me to focus. I also learned that with age and experience I got maturity … and another comment points to “growth needed” in building team and affirming staff. This sounds like someone has described a permanent “work of God” for me. I am taking up the challenge.

Now, my colleagues in a way that made me blush have exposed my DNA to me. Yes, it’s true. They see me also as an ideas person, and as being creative, as well as having a gift for defining quality. I would be stupid not to enjoy the moment!

There are things that we don’t notice ourselves, though honesty is looking straight into our own eyes in a morning bathroom mirror. We show empathy because that’s what our DNA prompts us to do. There are skills we improve on, but there are things that we say and do that do not need to be defended as they are natural to you or me. I make choices in life because I make them. Choices do not need to be defended, really. 

My armchair seems to be enjoying me, too. Yes, I am beginning to sense that maturity is an asset. But, if your armchair is stainless steel, search for a pillow. Your butt will appreciate it.

[Photo above - Stellenbosch, South Africa; below - Oxford, Maryland]


3 comments:

  1. "I learned that I have so many ideas and that I should sometime focus more on a few priorities"

    A tomato plant, if not pruned back will generate small fruit. When pruned, will yield larger and sweeter fruit. Its interesting that the Chinese attribute the generation of ideas to the Wood element (Liver and Gallbladder), and discernment to the Metal element (Lung and Large Intestine). When Wood element is hyperactive, the person tends to sprout so many ideas like the many leaves on a tree, and if the branches are not pruned back, the fruit the tree births are small and sour. If the person has hyperactive metal, the person's discernment can prune back so many branches that the tree is left with a stump and the person feels like there's no point in pursuing any ideas and their growth and expansion is stunted resulting in a feeling of hopelessness and depression. The balance is restored by harmonizing the Liver/Gallbladder and Lung/Large Intestine axis. The Metal point GB44 on the foot on the Wood meridian is needled to restore the balance between creativity and followthrough engendered by discerned focus.

    As to your 8.83 out of 10 score: there are three types of people in the world as far as I've seen:

    1. People who are narcissists and care only about how they look to the world
    2. People who couldn't give a damn about how they look to the world and act inspite of opposition and lack of agreement, and
    3. People who are a bit of both to varying degrees

    One can debate about what percentage of the human race fits in what category. I recognize myself in number 3 most of the time, then 1, and then occasionally in 2.

    Its interesting that we are rarely given the opportunity to inquire as to where we see ourselves on that scale, let alone how others see us. Its sometimes good to do a survey of what people actually think of you. What's more important is to not take the answers too seriously as an indication of where we need to improve in the blurred eyes of others.

    For example, I think a score of 8.83 is dreadful and I think you ought to be ashamed of yourself. You should be aiming for a 5 or a 4. I really don't think you're trying hard enough!

    Regardless, I'm proud of you and hope you've found a pillow for your chair :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate and love your refreshing honesty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As usual, Rajmund--wonderful shots and thoughts! (you must have some Jewish blood in you, eh?)
    Cliff

    ReplyDelete